Today I wanted to get the 1981 XV920rh finished with the safety inspection so I could actually ride it. I decided to get new tires which was the only thing it needed. I wasn’t sure how the rear wheel would come off on these contained chain drive bikes, was it like other chain drives? I found it was a combination between a shaft drive and chain. The wheel popped right out just like any shaft drive bike.
After getting the new tires mounted, I ran it down the street to get the safety inspection done. It passed with easily enough, but my turn signal relays are somewhat delayed… luckily he still let it go. I still am trying to figure out everything with the handlebars and the seat, but I’m getting there. Here’s the Virago right after a successful inspection.
Tore into the 1982 Yamaha xj550 today. I wanted to inspect what the previous owner mentioned what he thought the problems were. I took the starter, and stripped it to pieces to see if it was fixable. Upon opening, and inspecting the brushes, I noticed how much grease was all over the place:
I used up a bunch of paper towels, but I eventually got most of the parts cleaned up. Either someone before put too much grease where it didn’t belong, or water (or gas perhaps) got into the housing pushing grease where it didn’t belong.
I guess I have to get some more special grease, plus I need to verify if my brushes are long enough to keep going… but I think this starter will work again.
I also decided to go get a new front tire as the current tire was old, cracked, and leaking air. I also ordered some essentials like oil, oil filter, gas line and filter, new brake pads and shoes, new brake fluid, and a new battery. So this bike will get a lot of work done to it in the next couple days! Wahoo!
Well, this bike is almost ready to start being my daily driver. To do this, I’ve got to have the bike pass safety and emissions. My list of things to do still:
- Install pod filters (they should be here any day)
- Rejet Carbs (stock main jet is 97.5, and I’m upgrading to 105 because of the chopped exhaust and the new pod filters. I’m also increasing the pilot jet from 15 to 17.5)
- Replace the balding rear tire (did that today)
- Check/clean contact points
- Install new rear brake switch (ordered from ebay, waiting)
- Install new rear brake pads (ordered, waiting)
- Diagnose my left blinker problem (marker lights work fine, but as soon as I switch left, the front goes dark and the back goes bright solid… weird)
- Chang oil and oil filter (drained oil, but waiting for ordered filter)
- Add air filter to the crank case
- Clean and relube drive chain
- Lubricate control cables
- Plug vacuum lines at intake and valve covers because I’m removing the air box (did that today)
As the parts start coming in, I’ll keep getting closer to riding again. I live by a somewhat busy road, and the motorcycles keep riding by… and I’m very jealous!